Friday 6 November 2015

Charity Shop Books

I know of many people who will go to charity shops religiously while shopping to see what they can find; Jimmy Choo, Levi Jeans, Rayban Sunnies.
They may be last seasons but who doesn't love a bargain on designer?


Well, I don't. I cannot bear the thought of digging through hundreds of rails and piles of old toot just incase I find something that may possibly be worth it because the fact is, it seems very unlikely I will actually find anything. I'm not really a big designer person myself and I'm quite happy with my High Street clothes.

However! I recently went into a charity shop to give in a bag of old clothes and saw at the back a massive section of books which caught my eye. After I handed the bag to the lady I went to have a little browse. Hundreds of books from any genre you can imagine, and almost all of them for £1!
Well, I really can't go wrong can I! 
Especially as part of my Day Zero Project is to read 50 books...

Unfortunately I am one to judge a book by it's cover, despite the popular quote, but this time I thought - I'm gonna spin the stand and grab whichever 3 I land on first. So here they are...


Bernadine Kennedy - Old Scores (RRP £5.99)
Cecelia Ahern - P.S I Love You (RRP £7.99)
Xandra Bingley - Bertie, May and Mrs. Fish (RRP £6.99)

I was excited when I grabbed P.S I Love You, I absolutely adore the film and it makes me cry every time but it really is beautiful and I'd love to see whether the film or the book is better.

As for the other two, well, I've never heard of either - or the writers.
One is a life abuse story and the other is from the war - I feel like a middle aged woman! But as I said, I need to stop judging books by the covers! Has anyone else read these?

I will update with reviews whenever I read them!
And the best thing about it is that I can take them back for charity afterwards so they can continue to make money for the British Heart Foundation.

Does anyone else use charity shops for books?


May x




BLOGLOVIN  |  TWITTER  |  INSTAGRAM


10 comments:

  1. Great post dear! I invite you to join my Giveaway on the blog:

    irenethayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post and I admire your honesty here. I sometimes look in the book section in charity shops and also I can judge a book by its cover. I loved your idea of choosing three books randomly to see if they were good without looking at the front design. Books are so cheap second hand so you can’t really go wrong! Happy reading!! :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone must judge a book by it's cover! Even this version of P.S I Love You I probably wouldn't have picked up because it's not the original!
      But yes, second hand is cheap and cheerful - we all love that!
      Thank you!

      May x

      Delete
  3. I managed to find a charity shop for a local hospice selling their books for the tiny sum of 50p, I went a little crazy and picked up four. Loving the idea of randomly making selections, you never know what you might find. =^-^=

    Sam | Momentarily Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50p! That's amazing! And for a local hospice you always feel much better about giving them the money!

      May x

      Delete
  4. I LOVE finding books in charity shops... as long as the pages aren't yellow! It's great when you find a gem of a charity shop that always have pretty new releases :) always come home with a stack of books for only £3-4.

    Fee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I definitely agree with the pages being yellow - don't think I'd buy some minging dirty book! But still, they have pretty good books for such a cheap price when they all cost around £8 originally - definitely worth it!

      May x

      Delete
  5. You can never have too many books, love the thought of people sharing books even unknowingly and what bargains too!

    What Raj Wants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never! Although I currently don't have a shelf for them so maybe I do have too many books!

      May x

      Delete
  6. Making me want to pop into my local charity shop! Great finds. Ps I love you is a great book x

    www.beckieeschle.com

    ReplyDelete

 
© Design by Neat Design Corner